Salt kjøtt or salted meat is often eaten with raspeball and swede purée or with a onion sauce and potatos. I recommend trying it with raspeball and swede purée if it’s your first time eating this Norwegian classic. All you need to make this recipe is meat and salt.
This is how you make salt kjøtt
1 kg of sliced Lamb shank
1 dl of salt
- Rub salt on the meat until alle the slices of meat is covered. Use 1 dl or around 6-7 tsp of salt pr. kg of meat.
- Put it in an container in the fridge over night.
- Wash of the salt in cold water.
- Put on large saucepan of water to boil and add the meat. Important to not use salt in the water when cooking the meat.
- Lower the heat, let it simmer for 2 hour. If you want to serve it with potato dumplings (raspeball) they need around 45 min of simmering.