This is how you make sursild
- 4 Pre-salted herring fillets – skin and bone free
- 1 red or white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 dl water
- 3 dl sugar
- 2 dl white vinegar 7%
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp whole allspice
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp yellow or white mustard seeds
- 2-3 bay leaves
Directions: Soak the herring in water for at least 1 hour depending on how salty the herring is. Drain the herring, rinse, and pat dry. Cut the fillets crosswise into 1-inch strips.
- Combine the water, sugar and vinegar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Arrange the herring, onion, bay leaves, and spices in layers in a glas jar. Divide the spices between your containers if you are using more than one.
- Pour over the pickling liquid so all the ingredients are completely covered. Cover and refridgerate. Wait at least a day before eating.
Serve with the onions, over buttered bread to make open sandwiches or for dinner with hot potatoes and sour cream.
Time: 15 min