Homemade aquavit, or akevitt in Norwegian. Litterally translates as “water of life”. Aquavit is a Scandinavian spirit that has been produced since the 15th century. In Norway the aquavit is distilled from potato and in Denmark and Sweden they use grain.
- 2-3 large dill sprig (or 1-2 tbsp dill seeds)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 ts fennel Seed
- 1 ts cloves
- 0.5 liter potato vodka
- Add the dill sprig, caraway, fennel and cloves seed in a glass container or bottle.
- Pour 0.5 liter of potato Vodka into the container or bottle and seal well.
- Place it in a cool and dark environment for 3-4 days, depending on how strong you want the aquavit to be. Gently shake the jar every day.
- Strain the spirit through a sieve and discard the solids. Return the aquavit back into the bottle.
Dill aquavit goes well with all kind of sea-food. And should be served ice-cold.
Time: 15 minute