Homemade aquavit, or akevitt in Norwegian. Litterally translates as “water of life”. Aquavit is a Scandinavian spirit that has been produced since the 15th century. In Norway the aquavit is distilled from potato and in Denmark and Sweden they use grain in their recipe.
This is how you make dill aquavit
- 2-3 large dill sprig (or 1-2 tbsp dill seeds)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 ts fennel Seed
- 1 ts cloves
- 0.5 liter potato vodka
- Add the dill sprig, caraway, fennel and cloves seed in a glass container or bottle.
- Pour 0.5 liter of potato Vodka into the container or bottle and seal well.
- Place it in a cool and dark environment for 3-4 days, depending on how strong you want the aquavit to be. Gently shake the jar every day.
- Strain the spirit through a sieve and discard the solids. Return the aquavit back into the bottle.
Dill aquavit goes well with all kind of sea-food. And should be served ice-cold.
Time: 15 minute