Blanching helps preserve and set the color of fresh vegetables as well as those intended for the freezer.
- Start with fresh cabbage – as fresh as you can get. Slice the cabbage into wedges.
- Prepare a large bowl with ice and cold water.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Add the cabbage wedges in batches of no more than 1kg and cook for 2 minutes until the leaves have softened slightly.
- Remove the cabbage and refresh in iced water to stop the cooking process. Cool for the same amount of time as the blanch step. In this case 2 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly