Farikal (Lamb in Cabbage) is Norway’s national dish and one of my favorit dishes. We eat farikal with potatoes and crispy flat bread. On the last Thursday of September every year its National Farikal day.
- 1.5 kg mutton meat, together with the bones and fat (the more fat the better), cut into serving piece
- 1.5 kg blanched green cabbage (How to blanch cabbage).
- tbsp whole black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp salt
- 50 g flour
The meat they use in this old recipe is breast or clod. But you can use shoulder, neck or shank.
- Cut into serving piece.
- Wash the meat in hot water, dry it and flour it.
- Layer meat and half of the blanched green cabbage in a pot, pepper and salt in between.
- Pour boiling water over until half of the meat is covered.
- Cook until tender. About 3 hours
- Add the rest of the blanched green cabbage after 1 hour.
Time: 4 hours